Author Information

Katelyn WentworthFollow

Project Type

individual

Authors' Class Standing

Freshman

Lead Presenter's Name

Katelyn Wentworth

Faculty Mentor Name

Aaron Clevenger

Abstract

I proposed to find the reason there are such harsh cultural shifts among the generations in Singapore. I researched my topic through personal interviews and individual observations in Singapore. I focused on the differences among the generations, not the differences in their culture from western culture. This line became less obvious as the generations continued. I have concluded that the oldest generation is trying to preserve what is left of their heritage. The middle generation constitutes the greatest shift as they attempt to improve their individual wealth and show their status to the community. These people focus on car, career, condominium, credit card, and country club. The youngest generation is influenced by their parents and the west so that they have lost most of the culture that their grandparents share. These changes have made Singapore a country all together different than other countries in Southeast Asia who still hold strong to their old traditions.

Did this research project receive funding support (Spark, SURF, Research Abroad, Student Internal Grants, or Ignite Grants) from the Office of Undergraduate Research?

Yes

Share

COinS

Cultural Shift Among Generations in Singapore

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.