"The First, But Certainly Not The Last"

Artistic Medium

Pencil

Description

My work is a portrait of Valentina Tereshkova who was not only the first woman to travel in space but is one of my greatest inspirations. The drawing is based on a photo that was taken when she came back to Earth and it symbolizes courage as well as determination to me. These two characteristics were valuable to have in a time where women were not very involved in the space program in the USSR. Unfortunately, they continue to be important in a world where women are fighting to be included in STEM and should be communicated through all aspects of society including art. It is my hope that my piece will be able to communicate this Valentina's power when it is viewed.

Artwork Dimensions

8.5 x 11"

Rights

This piece is based on a picture that was taken of Valentina Tereshkova when she went into space. I am unaware if there are any copyright/usage rights associated with the picture.

Share

COinS

"The First, But Certainly Not The Last"

"The First, But Certainly Not The Last"