Senator Thad Altman
Florida State Senator Thad Altman was born on September 8, 1955. Two years later, his family moved to Florida where attended area schools and graduated from Brevard Community College with an Associates of Arts degree in 1975. He also attended Florida Institute of Technology Flight Training. He then attended the University of Houston and later completed his undergraduate studies with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Rollins College in 1987.
Senator Altman began his political career as a Brevard County Commissioner where he served from 1985-1992. He also served in the Regional Planning Council in 1986, 1987 and 1992. During a Special Election in 2003, Altman was voted into the Florida House of Representatives (then District 30 in Brevard County) where he served until November 2008, when he was elected to serve in the Florida Senate (then District 24 in Brevard, Orange and Seminole Counties.) He was subsequently re-elected in November 2010, 2012 and 2014.
A Brevard County resident, former building contractor, and currently employed as President at the Astronaut Memorial Foundation, Senator Altman currently serves on the following Senate Committees: Military and Veterans Affairs, Space and Domestic Security (Chair), Children, Families, and Elder Affairs (Vice Chair), Appropriations, Appropriations Subcommittee on General Government, Environmental Preservation and Conservation, and Finance and Tax.
Community service is important to Senator Altman as is evidenced by his participation in many volunteer organizations. Throughout almost three decades of service, the senator has been recognized and honored throughout the community with many awards.
Senator Altman lives with his wife Mary Pat and their three children McKenzie, Hunter and Sullivan in Rockledge, Florida. The entire family enjoys many family activities such as attending church together and outdoor activities such as hiking, hunting, boating and biking.
Other Public Service
- National Space Club, Florida Committee Board Member, 2012-Current
- Brevard County Legislative Delegation, Chairman, 2007 and 2014
- Brevard County Commission, 1984-1992
- Brevard County Commission, Chair, 1985, 1986, 1992
- East Central Florida Regional Planning Council, 1985-1992
- East Central Florida Regional Planning Council, Chair, 1986
- Brevard County Metropolitan Planning Council, 1984-1992
- Brevard County Metropolitan Planning Council, Chair, 1986
- Governors' Health Care Advisory Committee
- Governors' Task Force on Substance Abuse
- Space Florida
Honors and Awards
- Junior League of South Brevard Advocate of the Year Award
- Disabled America Veterans Outstanding Legislative Award
- Florida League of Cities Legislative Appreciation Award
- Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association Legislative Award
- Florida Catholic Commission Legislature of the Year Award
- Rollins College, Distinguished Graduate of the Year Award
- Brevard Community College, Distinguished Alumnus Award
- Florida Association of Counties, County Champion Award
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Local Government Elected Official of the Year Award
- Florida Jaycees, Outstanding Young Floridian of the Year, 1987
- City of Palm Bay, Freshman Legislator of the Year Award
- And more
- American Lung Association, Brevard and Volusia Counties, President, 2003
- Rollins College, Community Advisory Board, 2003
- St. Mary's Catholic School, Finance Committee, 2003
- American Red Cross, President of the Brevard County Chapter, 1989