Start Date

4-1973 8:00 AM

Description

I am very pleased to appear before you for the purpose of presenting an overview of the role of the Department of Defense in the Space Shuttle development program. As stated many times, the DOD supports the development of the Space Shuttle. The Air Force, as executive agent for the Department of Defense, has been tasked to work with NASA in developing the Shuttle system. Simply stated, our job is to work with NASA in their development of a Space Shuttle which will have utility to the DOD and to provide the DOD with programmatic data for use as the basis for decisions as required. Before I discuss the Air Force role in detail, I first want to state why we are interested in the Shuttle.

Space has now become a competitive environment for military operations and is far more effective in such areas as communications and navigation. With the advent of a space transportation system, space may become even more attractive through potential reduction in payload and mission costs.

Comments

Unmanned Space Programs

Session Chairman: Robert H. Gray, Deputy Director of Launch, Operations, NASA, KSC

No other information or file available for this session.

Share

COinS

Apr 1st, 8:00 AM

Department Of Defense Role In The Space Shuttle

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.