Start Date

4-1981 8:00 AM

Description

The N series rocket is a three stage, Thor-Delta type satellite launcher developed and operated under the management of the National Space Development Agency of Japan. This liquid propellant booster was completed with a great deal of the support from the United States.

The first generation of the N, N-I vehicle capable of placing a 130kg pay load into geostationary orbit, has launched six satellites in total since 1975 with one malfunction connected with the mission failure. An upgraded version of the N-I, called N-II launch vehicle, was successfully launched this past February in its first flight. At present this rocket is the heaviest satellite launcher in Japan, capable of placing about 350 kg payload into geostationary orbit.

This paper describes overall features of both N-I and N-II launch vehicles including configuration, subsystems and capability. Typical launch preparation activities such as the factory checkout and launch site operations are also introduced.

Comments

No other information or file available for this session.

Share

COinS

Apr 1st, 8:00 AM

The Japanese N-Launch Vehicle

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.