Online Advocacy: Reaching out to Transgender Youth

Author Information

Clark HowardFollow

Is this project an undergraduate, graduate, or faculty project?

Undergraduate

Project Type

individual

Authors' Class Standing

Clark Howard, Sophomore

Lead Presenter's Name

Clark Howard

Faculty Mentor Name

Jennifer Wojton

Abstract

Inspired by research on Digital Culture and Digital Literacy in my Honors 150 Seminar: Disruptive Technology, I created a website that attempts to leverage the power of a digital platform for the purpose of advocacy. Though text is the dominant mode of expressing academic knowledge, digital environments are multimodal by nature - they contain a mixture of text, images, sound, hyperlinks and so on. They reach a youthful audience in a quick and efficient way that appeals to them, which is of the utmost importance for advocacy work. Using my own experience and research on resources and psychology related to the transgender experience, I created a website that describes the feelings of gender euphoria and dysphoria around each general region of the body (e.g. chest, arms, legs), accessed by the user by clicking on whichever body region they wanted to read about on a representative figure.

Did this research project receive funding support (Spark, SURF, Research Abroad, Student Internal Grants, Collaborative, Climbing, or Ignite Grants) from the Office of Undergraduate Research?

Yes, Spark Grant

Share

COinS