Sid McGuirk is currently the Chair of the Applied Aviation Sciences Department at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. Prior to this assignment, he served 35 years with the Federal Aviation Administration in a variety of positions, including:
- Air Traffic Controller
- Air Traffic Supervisor
- Labor – Management Coordinator
- Quality Assurance Manager
- FAA Headquarters Branch Manager – Advanced Systems Training
- FAA Headquarters Branch Manager – Air Traffic Accident Investigation
- FAA Headquarters – Office of Chief Counsel – Staff Attorney – Labor and Employment Law
- FAA Headquarters Assistant Division Manager – Air Traffic Training
- FAA Headquarters Division Manager – Technical Operations Training
With an undergraduate degree in History and Political Science, Professor McGuirk completed a Master of Arts degree in Government. He then earned a Juris Doctor degree and is currently a licensed attorney (inactive) in the state of Maryland. A Master of Laws degree in Taxation was completed in 1992.
Courses taught at the undergraduate level include Introduction to Air Traffic Management, Radar Enroute Air Traffic Management, Non Radar Enroute Air Traffic Management, Collaborative Air Traffic Management, and Health, Safety, and Aviation Law. At the graduate level, Professor McGuirk has taught courses on The Air Transportation System and Ethical Leadership in Aviation and Labor Management Relations in the Federal Sector.