The Association of Digital Forensics, Security and Law (ADFSL)
Because of prevalent threats to SoHo based ADSL Routers, many more devices are compromised. Whilst an end-user may be at fault for not applying the appropriate security mechanisms to counter these threats, vendors should equally share the blame. This paper reveals that the lack of security related content and poor overall design could impact on end-users’ interpretation and willingness to implement security controls on their ADSL router. It argues that whilst the number of threats circulating the Internet is increasing, vendors are not improving their product literature.
1. Dlamini, M.T., J.H.P. Eloff, and M.M. Eloff, Information security: The moving target. Computers & Security, 2009. 28(3): p. 189-198.
2. Furnell, S.M., P. Bryant, and A.D. Phippen, Assessing the security perceptions of personal Internet users. Computers & Security, 2007. 26(5): p. 410-417.
3. Szewczyk, P. Individuals Perceptions of Wireless Security in the Home Environment. in 4th Australian Information Security Management Conference. 2006. Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia.
4. APC, Enduser. Australian Personal Computer, 2009. 29(2): p. 16-17.
5. Johnson, E., Computer Documentation: Writing about technology. Computers and the Humanities, 1995. 29: p. 409-411.
6. Folmer, H.R., M.N. Moynihan, and P.M. Schothorst. Testing and evaluating Manuals. 2002 [cited 2009 January 10]; Available from: http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=1993185 7857.
7. Schriver, K.A., Dynamics in Document Design. 1997, New York, USA: John Wiley & Sons.
8. Wieringa, D., C. Moore, and V. Barnes, Procedure Writing. 1993, Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press.
9. Perelman, L.C., J. Paradis, and E. Barret, The Mayfield Handbook of Technical & Scientific Writing. 1998, Mountain View, CA: Mayfield Publishing Company.
10. Billion. BiPAC 7202 / 7292G (802.11g) ADSL 2+ Router User's Manual. 2005 [cited 2005 August 10]; Available from: http://www.billion.uk.com/support/download/usernamnual/usermanual.ht m.
11. D-Link. D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL Router User's Guide. 2004 [cited 2005 August 10]; Available from: http://www.dlink.com.au/default.aspx?ArticleID=740.
12. Motorola. User Guide SBG900 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. 2003 [cited 2005 August 11]; Available from: http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default.asp?SupportSe ction=CableModems.
13. NetComm. NetComm Broadband Solutions User Guide. 2005 [cited 2005 August 10]; Available from: http://www.netcomm.com.au/Support/downloads.php?Category=ADSL& Products=NB5PLUS4W.
14. Netgear. Reference Manual for the Model Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G. 2005 [cited 2005 August 11]; Available from: http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/default.asp?question_box=DG834G& collections=kb_file%2Cdatasheets&ui_mode=question&collection_restric tion=docs&x=95&y=29.
15. Siemens. SpeedStream® 6500 Series Residential Gateway User’s Guide. 2004 [cited 2005 August 10]; Available from: http://www.siemens.com/page/1,3771,1272700-1-999_0_0-9,01.html.
16. Belkin. Belkin F5D7633au4A Documentation. 2007 [cited 2009 January 20]; Available from: http://www.belkin.com/au/support/article/?lid=ena&pid=F5D7633au4A& aid=6945&scid=845.
17. D-Link. D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL Router User's Guide. 2008 [cited 2009 January 20]; Available from: http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSLG604T-GenII&revision=REV_C&filetype=Manuals.
18. Netgear. Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router DG834G User Manual. 2008 [cited 2009 January 20]; Available from: http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2327.
19. TP-Link. TP-Link User Guide TD-W8901G 54M Wireless ADSL2+ Router. 2008 [cited 2009 January 20]; Available from : http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/20091515147.pdf.
Szewczyk, Patryk and Valli, Craig
"Insecurity by Obscurity: A Review of SoHo Router Literature from a Network Security Perspective,"
Journal of Digital Forensics, Security and Law: Vol. 4
, Article 1.
Available at: http://commons.erau.edu/jdfsl/vol4/iss3/1