•  
  •  

Abstract

The current slot allocation mechanism in Brazil, based on the International Air Transport Association (IATA) rules, and its supplementary local regulation The National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC), displays a few issues and limitations (e.g. slot misuse, allocation inefficiencies). Such issues are particularly present in the case of busy airports that works near their maximum capacity for major parts of the day. This inefficiency problem is generated because of the complexity of slot allocation added to the limited decision support available for the Brazilian system. This study focuses on the implementation of an optimal slot model, based on IATA regulations with local adaptations from ANAC at Congonhas Airport (CGH/SBSP). Final results include the reallocated slots examined within airport capacity limits and declared capacity for flights GOL 1389 and GOL 1666. This optimal solution represents an improvement in the slot allocation efficiency of 35,22% and 67,83% for flights GOL 1389 for GOL 1666 respectively. The main limitation is that the model focuses only on the availability of slots and their optimization. No consideration is given to the airport capabilities such as gate availability, baggage handling capacity and aircraft size. This leads to a less systemic analysis of the whole system.

Acknowledgements

The present research was developed and supported by the experiences I had in my academic exchanges to University of Central Florida (UCF) and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) additionally being motivated by the summer internship where I worked in the Operational Control Center(CCO) of GOL airlines in Congonhas Airport, mainly in the area of slot control. Working under Eduardo Borba which is the Data Scientist of the Control Center and to the airport´s CCO and Engineering Director Jose Alexandre Simi. This last opportunity has enhanced my curiosity regarding slot optimization approach. I would also like to acknowledge the contribution of my Advisor Professor Rafael Roco de Araújo from PUCRS and Professor Massoud Bazargan from ERAU. And finally, I would like to thank my family and specially my father Carlos André Bulhões Mendes for all the support and the encouragement to challenge myself and always keep studying.

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.