Presenter Information

Nina Haydel

Location

Daytona Beach, Florida

Description

This paper addresses the need for writing as a component of every discipline, and the value writing has for both the students and the instructors. The paper presents an historical background of composition in higher education and the rationale behind using writing as one of the methods of educating the students at ERAU. The need for writing and its value as an educational tool in even the most technical of disciplines are explored. The paper attempts to answer three questions that plague instructors when considering the addition of a writing component to a content course:

1. Why do I need to add writing, since my course is technical, theoretical, or hands-on?

2. With all the work I am doing, when can I find time to deal with a written assignment?

3. How can I possibly teach, evaluate, and grade something else, when it seems irrelevant to what I am teaching?

Included are implementation of strategies, management of time, styles of writing, suggested assignments, and performance evaluation/grading/assessment advice for both formal and informal, graded and un-graded written assignments, along with sample writing criteria.

Share

COinS

Writing as a Tool for Teaching and Evaluating Student Performance In University Level Course Work

Daytona Beach, Florida