Author Information

Jacob BetancourtFollow

Is this project an undergraduate, graduate, or faculty project?

Undergraduate

Project Type

individual

Campus

Daytona Beach

Authors' Class Standing

Jacob Betancourt, Sophomore

Lead Presenter's Name

Jacob Betancourt

Lead Presenter's College

DB College of Engineering

Faculty Mentor Name

Scott Parr

Abstract

Using the funds given to me by the Spark Grant, I went on a trip to the annual Transportation Research Board meeting where I found research on different problems and research ideas in the transportation field. I shrank down that information to one poster session which I saw as the most interesting and applicable to me. The research and poster I will analyze was done by Fangjian Yang and Han Luo from the Department of Civil and Environment Engineering at Auburn University. The title of their research was, “Noval Freeway Entry & Exit Ramp Speed Management Strategy”. The research proposes a plan of implementing variable speed limit signs that will adjust on exit/enter ramps on the I-85 in order to reduce the number of accidents caused by potential road hazards and aid in seamless merging of traffic onto and off of the highway. The research accounts for likely responses to the implementation and the possible consequences that will result. The research as a whole was an interesting idea with a good amount of research behind it, but in actuality I believe it will not work because of the difficulty of implementation and the human factor involved with vehicles adhering to speed limits.

Did this research project receive funding support (Spark, SURF, Research Abroad, Student Internal Grants, Collaborative, Climbing, or Ignite Grants) from the Office of Undergraduate Research?

Yes, Spark Grant

Share

COinS

TRB Trip and Analysis of Research on Variable on Ramp and Highway Speed Limits

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.