Attitude Stabilization Technology for Rotational Inertial Dampening

Dustin Colombo
Alexander Rocca
Grace Barnes
Corbin Saunders
David Vestal

Abstract

The Icarus Sounding Rocket Program (ISRP) at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) has undertaken the goal of providing student researchers with access to space through sounding rockets. As with any experimental flight vehicle, all systems must undergo rigorous testing and experimentation to ensure optimal performance of each flight system on board the sounding rocket. The Attitude Stabilization Technology for Rotational Inertial Dampening Project (A.S.T.R.I.D.) was tasked with developing, manufacturing, testing, and flying a student researched and designed (SRAD) yo-yo de-spin system. By utilizing the conservation of angular momentum, angular velocity can be controlled by manipulating inertia. The preliminary phase of A.S.T.R.I.D.’s development began in the Fall 2023 semester, featuring theoretical designs and analysis of the team’s yo-yo de-spin system and the flight vehicle it will be tested in, Wild Child. The experimental phase of A.S.T.R.I.D.’s development began in February of the Spring 2024 semester, including an extensive manufacturing and testing campaign throughout the months of March and April dedicated to verifying the yo-yo de-spin’s capabilities. Finally, Project A.S.T.R.I.D. culminates in the test flight of the yo-yo de-spin system mid-April, which will serve as the final integrated proof-of-concept of the flight system that will be scaled to accommodate a sounding rocket.