Is this project an undergraduate, graduate, or faculty project?

Undergraduate

Project Type

group

Campus

Daytona Beach

Authors' Class Standing

Dustin Colombo, Sophomore Alexander Rocca: Sophomore Grace Barnes: Sophomore Corbin Saunders: Junior David Vestal: Graduate Student

Lead Presenter's Name

Dustin Colombo

Lead Presenter's College

DB College of Engineering

Faculty Mentor Name

Ilteris Demirkiran

Abstract

The Icarus Sounding Rocket Program (ISRP) at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) has undertaken the goal of providing student researchers with access to space through sounding rockets. As with any experimental flight vehicle, all systems must undergo rigorous testing and experimentation to ensure optimal performance of each flight system on board the sounding rocket. The Attitude Stabilization Technology for Rotational Inertial Dampening Project (A.S.T.R.I.D.) was tasked with developing, manufacturing, testing, and flying a student researched and designed (SRAD) yo-yo de-spin system. By utilizing the conservation of angular momentum, angular velocity can be controlled by manipulating inertia. The preliminary phase of A.S.T.R.I.D.’s development began in the Fall 2023 semester, featuring theoretical designs and analysis of the team’s yo-yo de-spin system and the flight vehicle it will be tested in, Wild Child. The experimental phase of A.S.T.R.I.D.’s development began in February of the Spring 2024 semester, including an extensive manufacturing and testing campaign throughout the months of March and April dedicated to verifying the yo-yo de-spin’s capabilities. Finally, Project A.S.T.R.I.D. culminates in the test flight of the yo-yo de-spin system mid-April, which will serve as the final integrated proof-of-concept of the flight system that will be scaled to accommodate a sounding rocket.

Did this research project receive funding support (Spark, SURF, Research Abroad, Student Internal Grants, Collaborative, Climbing, or Ignite Grants) from the Office of Undergraduate Research?

No

Share

COinS

Attitude Stabilization Technology for Rotational Inertial Dampening

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.