•  
  •  

Abstract

This is a short story about a domestic worker in Macau who is subjected to varying degrees of mistreatment, exploitation and physical/sexual abuse. The story tracks a short but tragic episode in the life of a young Filipino helper – Teresa – who works for an English expatriate family living in Macau. In a broad sense, it exposes the clashing of two very different existences – the prosperous, secure, comfortable life of the Western expat versus the poor, desperate, vulnerable existence of the Filipino helper. While focusing on Teresa's personal experiences and the surprising transformation of her relationship with her employer, Mrs. Chippenham, the story highlights the precariousness of the situation in which Macau’s domestic workers operate. It also aims to reveal the systemic indifference of Macanese society - in both local and expatriate communities - to their plight.

Bio

Originally from London, England, I live in Central Pennsylvania with my wife and two young children. I work full-time as an air ambulance helicopter pilot. During my "off" time, I work full-time as a stay-at-home dad!

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.