Past & Future of sustainability on campus from a students perspective

Presenter Information

Alexis SmithFollow

Presentation Type

Long presentation (faculty/staff) 15-20 minutes

Campus

Daytona Beach

Student Year and Major

Senior Civil Engineering

Start Date

28-1-2020 11:55 AM

End Date

28-1-2020 12:15 PM

Presentation Description/Abstract

Abstract

As a senior on campus, I have seen Embry-Riddle change drastically. My second semester I did a feasibility report with comparative analysis of sustainability on campus. An excerpt from this report includes “Embry-Riddle has a prestigious reputation for the flight program and the different engineering majors and is growing is prestige for other majors. At this time, society is very focused on “going green”, sustainability, and alternative energy. It is for this reason, Embry-Riddle should focus on the same aspects to keep up prestige.” This report was written in 2017, and I have had the opportunity to see Embry-Riddle make sustainable changes. At the time I wrote the report, there was no program or initiative in place to turn off classrooms at the end of the day, or computers in the lab, and the Environmental Committee of the SGA had been dissolved. Since this, I have joined the Progress Committee and have had the opportunity to be one of many “green voices” of the student body, this resulted in the revival of the Environmental Committee.

My focus in the committee has been the pursuit of the installment of the Food Recovery Network. The Food Recovery Network is a nationwide network of student college chapter recovering food on their campus. What this entails, is taking food that is prepared but not served, and would otherwise be thrown away, diverting it from the landfill, and donating to a local community shelter.

If food waste was a country, it would be the third largest producer of greenhouse gases.

The Embry-Riddle Daytona chapter is preparing for our first food recovery at this time, teaming up with the local Halifax Shelter.

Keywords

Food Recovery Network, Environmental Committee, Progress Committee

Comments

I would like to do this as a talk discussing the progress I have gotten to see first and hand and experience, however if it is deemed better to do as a topical presentation, I would like to do it on my experience with the Food Recovery Network.

View the agenda item.

Share

COinS

Jan 28th, 11:55 AM Jan 28th, 12:15 PM

Abstract