•  
  •  

Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research

Volume

16

Issue

3

Abstract

Hazardous attitudes can adversely affect a pilot's judgment and thus impact the safety of a flight (FAA, 1991). These hazardous attitudes are antiauthority; impulsivity; invulnerability; macho; and, resignation. Wetmore & Lu (in-press) found hazardous attitudes to be a causal or contributing factor in 86% of the general aviation accidents involving a fatality. This study reviews certain fundamental tenets and belief systems for each of the major traditional and modern educational philosophies, ideologies and theories. A qualitative determination was made that many of the pedagogies that permeate our educational system have tenets and beliefs can actually exacerbate rather than ameliorate hazardous attitudes. One of the main conclusions of this study is for aviation teachers to constantly examine their personal pedagogical paradigms and remind themselves of four important questions: (a) Do my aviation students have hazardous attitudes? (b) What are those hazardous attitudes? (c) Does my own personal teaching style ameliorate or exacerbate those hazardous attitudes? (d) How can I change or adapt my teaching strategies to better serve the needs of those student pilots suffering from hazardous attitudes?

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.