ERAU Tutoring Connect

Student Information (all team members)

Christine DominguezFollow

Lead Student Name

Christine Dominguez

Faculty Mentor Name

Shawn M. Doherty

Streaming Media

Executive Summary

ERAU Tutoring Connect: Executive Summary

A Preface

I believe information that is meant to be accessible should be easily accessible. This principle obviously should extend to tutoring information across campus.

The History Behind the Project: What is ERAU Tutoring Connect?

ERAU Tutoring Connect started as a Fall 2018 class project to make finding tutoring information such as times, subjects, and locations straightforward by compiling that information into its own website. During this time, data collection, storyboards, heuristic evaluations, prototyping, and usability testing of the site was done under the guidance of two of the Human Factors Department’s professors: Professor Doherty and Professor Chaparro, who continue to support the project’s development.

Now, the site is being web-developed by me during the Spring 2019 semester. Below are the functions that are currently being implemented into the site:

• Today's Tutoring Schedule: displays all the tutoring sessions for that day

• On-Campus Tutoring Search: looks-up on-campus tutoring by subject or by tutor name.

• Private Tutoring Search: looks-up private tutoring by subject or by tutor name.

• Lab Hours and Contact Info: displays the hours for tutoring and computer labs across campus with their respective contact information.

• My Account: the school allows approved students to build their own private tutoring profiles.

• About Us: this page will have a thank you for everyone who helped build the site.

The 2019 Innovation Awards & ERAU Tutoring Connect

During analysis of the Daytona Beach Campus Tutoring Survey (a part of the initial data collection for the site) the following statistics yielded a need for their corresponding solutions below:

Study Group Finder

Why It Needs to be Implemented

When asked, “how confident are you in asking your classmates to form study groups?” over one-third of students felt uncomfortable in doing so. This is why it is my position that ERAU Tutoring Connect should have a “Study Group Finder” to help those students..

Benefits Provided

This portion of the site will match students with their peers who are looking to study for the same tests or complete the same homework together. The system will, most importantly, be an equalizer for students that may be more introverted, and so, have difficulty interacting with their fellow classmates; this will then improve the quality of their student life!

My Account Extension

Why It Needs to be Implemented

In response to the question, “currently, how far in advance do you find out about tutoring cancellations?” 45.5% of students indicated that they find out less than three hours before the session. I am certain this is not typically a consequence last minute changes in scheduling. This can primarily be attributed to a lack of a proper system to disseminate the information. ERAU Tutoring Connect will fill this gap by extending its ‘My Account’ functionality.

Benefits Provided

A student’s account will now have the option to set up a notification system for upcoming tutoring reminders (such as tutoring session cancellations, private tutoring appointments, or a change in lab hours) to their preference using a web push notification system.

Share

COinS

ERAU Tutoring Connect

A Preface

Study Group Finder

Why It Needs to be Implemented

Benefits Provided

My Account Extension

Why It Needs to be Implemented

Benefits Provided